By now, I have gotten pretty good at being out and about, but also prepared. You’ll find some of my tips below. I would love to hear any tips any of you might have for me too
1.Get Yourself a Mary Poppins Bag.
Keep everything in this bag, and bring it everywhere. It should be big enough to hold your laptop, papers, and folders, but also have room for things like your emergency kit, sunglasses, a water bottle, ect.
2. Get Organized.
I have found that by keeping things in separated tiny bags, I am a little more organized. I keep everything in smaller bags inside of my Mary Poppins bag. This way, if I need to bring a smaller bag with me, I can easily grab the things I do and don’t want inside. It can get so frustrating when you feel like your things are scattered across your car. If you feel yourself loosing track of things, pause and re-group. It will save you time in the long-run Also, if you’re a jewelry girl, I highly recommend grabbing yourself a great jewelry separator for all of your small easily lost or tangled items.
3. Stay Healthy.
When you are traveling a lot, your body can get run down and worn out. It’s so important to stay healthy, even when you’re on the road. Pack yourself a cooler full of healthy snacks and quick meals so you aren’t temped to run through a fast food place. Also, take your vitamins!!
4. Pack Within One Color Family.
Packing neutrals has been key for me! I always try to pack a sweater that goes with everything, and a pair of shoes that are comfortable and that match all of my outfits, depending on how long I’ll be gone. It’s nice to be on the lighter side when you have to lug your bag from place to place. Plus, even if you pack lightly, and wear seemingly neutral pieces, you can always jazz it up with smaller accessories.
5. Bring Something that Comforts You.
Being on the road can be lonely sometimes. If you have something that reminds you of home, it can be really comforting. Maybe it’s your favorite tea, or your crystals, or your boyfriend’s hoodie, or all of them. Sometimes that little thing is just enough to cheer you up if you’re feeling down.
BONUS: The things I always keep in my Mary Poppins Bag
- Emergency kit: band-aids, floss, chapstick, mints, Benadryl, Advil, Tums, safety pins, lotion, triple antibiotic ointment, mini deodorant, nail clippers, tweezers.
- Laptop, charger. (Phone, Charger. Camera, charger, cord. Never assume your battery will last. It probably won’t.)
- Wallet, sunglasses, keys, pepper spray.
- A pouch full of regularly needed items: Burt’s Bees, Lipsticks, Pony Tail Holders, Bobby Pins, Back-up Touch Up Makeup, Body Spray. (Also, Name tag, sticky notes, business cards, pens for work.)
- Refillable Water bottle
Essential for travel